True Natural Beauty comes from within...

True Natural Beauty comes from within...
Welcome, to my natural bath / beauty and clean eating blog, where nature is our pantry....take a few quiet moments to enjoy free recipes and tutorials using natural ingredients. Have questions about recipes or where to find these ingredients? Put your question in the comment box and I will be happy to answer .............Anna

Monday, September 16, 2013

Pumpkin Puree in Homemade Soap Recipe

      Updated: 9/16/16 - Yes, you can put real pumpkin into your homemade soaps!  It makes a lovely bar of rich, creamy goodness. Make your own puree from fresh pumpkins, or pumpkin from a can.

originally published 8/22/13 updated 9/16/16

 Warm, homey and with a scent reminiscent of crisp fall mornings and toasty evenings at home.

I used canned pumpkin puree, yes, the kind that you make pies from. This was pure pumpkin puree, not the variety with spices added.  I made this hot process method in a crock pot and added the pumpkin at trace with a TBL of  honey. Frozen fresh goats milk and Arizona rain water for my liquid. (You can use all water for this recipe if you choose.)

vintage pumpkin seed package

This makes a hard, bubbly, moisturizing bar of soap.

Rich and creamy.  Absolutely decadent!  The lather is light tan.  I put real spice lines of ginger, and just a touch of cinnamon and cardamon. (optional) Spices alone are not strong enough to give a good scent when the soap is done, so I added some pumpkin fragrance oil. The result is a heavenly smelling, decadent bar that just makes you feel good to use.  You will love it.
__________________________________________________________________________________
2 oz beeswax
2 oz castor oil
12 oz coconut oil
12 oz olive oil
12 oz palm oil

2 oz canned pumpkin
1 TBL warmed honey at trace (optional)  FYI ... honey darkens the color of your soap
1.5 oz  to 2 oz  fragrance oil added after the cook. Strength of scent is your choice. 

5.5 oz lye   (6% superfatted using SoapCalc ) Always use gloves and glasses when working with lye (sodium hydroxide). I recommend long sleeve shirt as well, and an apron.

15.2 oz of liquid  ( I used 5 oz of frozen goats milk and 10.2 oz water)
__________________________________________________________________________________
NOTE:  You do not have to use goats milk if you don't choose too. 
You can use buttermilk or cow milk.     Freeze it first. 


frozen milk cubes
Always freeze your milk in cubes, this keeps temps down so your milk does not scorch. Next add water to milk cubes so that your total amount of milk and water is 15.2 oz
Then slowly pour your lye crystals into frozen milk/water,
stir until dissolved. 
It will turn orange, this is normal when using milks.

Don't want to use milk in your recipe at all? No problem...
Simply use the full liquid amount of 15.2 oz as water. This does not change the rest of the recipe.

I've noticed that using purees in my HP soaps makes the soap take a bit longer to get done,
this is normal. Relax and read a book, but don't walk away from a crock pot of cooking soap!

Always run a soap recipe through a lye calculator before making it yourself.   Be safe.

If you don't want to make this fresh Autumn soap yourself, check out my etsy shop




    Enjoy,  Anna





3 comments:

Rose Petal@LiveReadyNow.com said...

I love your soap-making posts! I found you through the Chicken Chick hop. I recently made my first batch of soap, and loved it. I did hot process and used 100% lard which I rendered myself. It turned out beautifully, so now I have courage to try more. You have many creative combinations.

We have goats that we milk, and I would love to make soap using goat milk, but was told that the hot process scorches it. I noticed you used frozen cubes...is that a secret to success?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Hi Rose, wow, congrats on rendering your own lard. Awesome. I LOVE lard soap.

Yes, I would have to say that the secret to using fresh goats milk, or any milk, tea, coffee etc, is to freeze it in ice cube trays. I have never scorched it doing it that way. And if you have goats, and all that fresh milk, (lucky) you would definitely want to use it. I love milk soaps HP. I made one once with goats milk, soy milk, cow milk, coconut water. It was the creamiest, soap I've ever seen. Love it.

Don't be afraid to HP your goats milk, it'll become your trademark soap I bet!

thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Loving all that you do and appreciate the extra effort you make in ensuring that we get the best results possible!
Yep, it's me again, the "Over" soaper...
Just wondered if you ever posted the soap recipe made with the three milks and coconut water. I would love to try that one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...